Brainstorming is one of best and easiest technique for idea generation.it is a group ideation technique and it can be applied to any situation where quick and collaborative problem solving is required.In typical Group consist : leader plus 5-15 members from diverse fields.
Leader: first outlines the problem, invites ideas from members. (S)he never leads in the expression of ideas. (S)he sees that the rules are observed and a free and easy atmosphere prevails
Procedure: The ideas are displayed, listed and passed on to members for further suggestions, if any. Then they are submitted for evaluation to another group of experts. The whole session up to 45 minutes
Rules to be observed during the session:
• Members must shed their inhibitions: avoid rejecting ideas as absurd, stupid, embarrassing or false
• Members must not criticize ideas generated (killer phrases forbidden)
• Members encouraged to freely change, develop further or combine other ideas
• All ideas to be recorded and displayed, and practicality of ideas is ignored
• The wilder the idea, the better it is (easier to tone down wilder ideas than to improve mediocre ideas)A case study
problem statement- To separate spoiled egg and good egg from mixes
quickly & automatically
• We separate them by colour. A colour meter ought to be practical
• Emissivity or reflectivity – green one ought to have a higher reflectivity
• Hardness. We squeeze them – easy – or poke them
• Electrical conductivity
• Electrical resistance
• Size. Won’t the spoiled ones be smaller?
• Weight. The good ones will be heavier
• Size and weight together ought to correlate
• Size and weight is density
• Specific volume They must be mostly water –
• and have the specific volume of water
• Do they float or sink?
• May be that’s it – separate them by density –
• by whether they float or sink in water
• Would not have to be water – could be anything
• Non toxic
• X-Ray – , or something like that
• Odour, smell
• Sound – can you hear a tomato?
• Can egg hear?
• Heat – infrared radiation
• Thermal conductivity
• Specific heat
• Ability of a juggler to juggle them
• Just let a woman look at them – push a button
• Statistically – check only every other one
• Just shake – spoiled ones makes noise
• Blow air through as you shake
• Use random numbers – let 3’s and 7’s be spoiled egg